4.19.2010

Save The Date, Portrait Love

To start right off the bat with a side note, I made some notes to remind myself of the items I wanted to share with my whole three readers, I abbreviated save the date.  Yup, STD's.  Hoping to send them out to all our family and friends by mid September.  Be sure to check the mail for yours! That's a keeper.

In getting on with the actual reason for tonight's post...

I've started the process of save the dates.  At this point we've decided against an engagement 'photo' via the BakerBettyPops and for an amazing little portrait by an Etsy.com artist by the name of Nan Lawson.  I was introduced to her through an email newsletter I get weekly (the Daily Candy Weddings).  Not really sure what I signed up for that got me on board for that one but for the sole reason of learning about Nan, I'm thrilled for that particular piece of junk email.  After browsing the gallery on the said 'newsletter's' site then perusing more at her Etsy shop I was in love.  Her offbeat characters are depicted in earthy type tones in a simplistic style that gives them all a soothing and serene energy.  Maybe it's that their eyes are all closed.  This simple act of closing ones eyes gives a feeling of safety and composure.  Composure is exactly it, though whether it has anything to do with the eyes is for a more seasoned critic to decide.  Whatever it is, these fun and unique works of art are a perfect fit for our off the beaten path wedding style. 

I emailed her and within a few hours was put on the waiting list!  I absolutely believed that she would get a load of business from the awesome publicity of that e-newsletter which I totally support the rise of a young artist.  Because of that assumption, I went ahead with my better judgment (it happens) and contacted her a good 5 months before I plan to send them out.  But perfection takes time and her part is only a portion of the big Save The Date 'picture'.  You underestimate me if you think I plan to just take a lovely piece of art and shove it in an envelope just like that.  More on that later.  

As we are now on the waiting list, I have been working to compile our ideas for the details.  What we'll be wearing and other personal characteristics that separate us from the pack.  I hope to get the few pictures she requested and the other info to her in the next couple days and in eight 'short' weeks, which is where I fall on "the list" we'll be looking at the proof for our very first family portrait!  Can you tell I'm excited?!  Well I am.  So please check out her sites and for those of you wondering what to get me for my half-birthday, the above piece "Eleanor of The Sea" is one of my favorites so far.  I'm so smitten with this woman's art I'm thinking of having her do another portrait as an actual wedding portrait once the day finally rolls around.  Listen to me!  Yikes!  Ok, let's get past the engagement portrait first, maybe even the wedding.  
Check her out at her Etsy.com shop, her Blog or at the Daily Candy.

Top: "Hipster Kiss" Pen and Ink illustration by Nan Lawson
Bottom: "Eleanor of the Sea" Pen and Ink illustration by Nan Lawson

0 Toasts:

Post a Comment